About

WP Framework was created to serve as the starting point in WordPress theme development.

It accomplishes this by providing you with commonly used functions and features that modern WordPress themes should have. So when you start a brand new WordPress project, using WP Framework you’ll already have the basic functionality set so you don’t have to worry about mundane task like creating the loop, or recreating all the standard template files.

Instead, you’ll be able to start implementing the design and functionality specific to your project right from the get-go. That’s the primary and only goal for this project and it will continue to evolve as WordPress continues to move from blogging software towards a fully capable CMS.

What makes this theme framework different from the rest?

WP Framework only provides you with what you need so you don’t have to worry about any huge learning curve. If you already have a basic understanding of WordPress themes and how they work, then you already know how to use WP Framework. WP Framework doesn’t introduce any new foreign concepts or forces you to develop your HTML structure in any specific way. Develop WordPress themes the way you’re use to and let WP Framework work “behind the scenes” for you.

WP Framework is:

• a WordPress theme framework that you can modify directly
  • a starting base for any kind of WordPress theme project
  • completely well documented from it’s code base
  • extremely flexible, modular, and extensible
  • always up-to-date with the latest version of WordPress
  • the only theme framework you’ll ever need

WP Framework is not:

• a WordPress theme framework that you can not modify directly
  • a WordPress theme framework that’s hard to use
  • bloated with “features” and functionality you’ll never use

Credits

WP Framework started out as a fork from some of the most amazing WordPress themes around.
Without the inspiration and ideas from those theme authors and their work, WP Framework wouldn’t be what it is today. Please check out their projects and support them in anyway. Thanks!

• K2, by Michael Heilemann, Chris J Davis, Zeo, Steve Lam and Ben Sherratt
  • Sandbox, by Scott Wallick
  • Thematic, by Ian Stewart
  • Tarski, by Ben Eastaugh and Chris Sternal-Johnson
  • Hybrid, by Justin Tadlock
  • Thesis, by Chris Pearson
  • Carrington by Alex King

14 Comments

1. Stephen Cronin's Avatar Stephen Cronin
    February 26th, 2009 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Ptah,

Just to let you know, the links in the Forum Last 5 Discussions section in the sidebar seem to be wrong (they have a double slash in them) and take you to a forum topic not found page…

Cheers,
    Stephen

2. Ptah Dunbar's Avatar Ptah Dunbar
    February 27th, 2009 at 3:28 am | Permalink

Thanks Stephen, it’s fixed now.

3. Zack's Avatar Zack
    April 27th, 2009 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Should keep an eye on this project.

4. José Antunes's Avatar José Antunes
    May 22nd, 2009 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Hi Ptah

I’m new on the wp stuff and I’m content creative and manager. For us, we don’t understand too much the code, code generation, code matter and so one, we love your job beacuse You do something like wp say ’s “code is poetry”.
    So, good luke for your project and think about the people like us, we realy need is something more “eateable”, with a back office friendly…
    So, when you did the wp framework and release it, I’m in expectation and thinked this was like the thesis or WPUnlimited, but I understand you haven’t the same resources…
    So good luck for your project.
    Best regards, José

5. Heather's Avatar Heather
    July 5th, 2009 at 6:06 am | Permalink

Just a note to thank you for creating this theme, which has taken a prominent place in my toolbox. I wish I’d known about it sooner.

6. waterbird's Avatar waterbird
    August 16th, 2009 at 9:24 am | Permalink

hi,very good!

7. hamdendesigns.com's Avatar hamdendesigns.com
    August 22nd, 2009 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Ptah,

Neat work; good luck!

8. Aaron Kantrowitz's Avatar Aaron Kantrowitz
    August 23rd, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

This looks great, I’ve been looking for something like this so I can speed up design for my clients. I’ll let you know how it goes!

9. Steve Shead's Avatar Steve Shead
    February 4th, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

…just put up a theme created using this framework. Your work saved me a ton of time - thank you, thank you, thank you!

In the theme I added a custom options panel in the back-end for ease of changing some of the functions and hooks, and I added an ecommerce (PayPal) cart - the point being this wouldn’t have been possible in such a short time without your framework.

Thanks again!

Steve

10. Steve Shead's Avatar Steve Shead
    March 1st, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I kept having an issue with creating a static posts page when creating a CMS style theme. The title was malformed only on the posts page for some reason. In the title tag on the header.php I replaced

with

and all is good. I know the code I replaced it with is not as clean as the original, but it’s the only way I could think of to rectify the issue. Not sure if there is somewhere else I can effect the change, since it only seems to be the posts page that was affected.

Still building themes and loving your framework!

Steve

11. PSD to WordPress's Avatar PSD to WordPress
    March 22nd, 2010 at 8:09 am | Permalink

One of the better themes available. Ive started to use it recently - Thank you!

12. Chrimu's Avatar Chrimu
    March 27th, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Is it allowed to sell a theme which is based on the WP Framework on a marketplace like ThemeForest?

13. John's Avatar John
    April 4th, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Hey guys, I did a bit of digging and was wondering if you guys know if the iPhone version of safari is assigned a CSS class on the body tag like all the other browsers get? If so, is it unique? It would be nice to be able to rewrite the CSS for just the iPhone but I’m trying to figure out how I’d figure out the class names. I tried .iphone but that didn’t work…. I decided it would be easier to ask than try to guess the styles.

14. Chris's Avatar Chris
    April 23rd, 2010 at 5:19 am | Permalink

Hi

I am looking to create a template to eventually sell. Would I be allowed to do this with a starting point using the WP Framework?